Last Updated on :
There is no doubt in saying that an RV is a very useful vehicle and it provides a lot of benefits. It doesn’t matter where you are planning to visit, an RV can make the entire journey comforting and memorable.
From getting good sleep to a strong shelter, you have everything while traveling. In simple words, you are traveling with the comfort of your home.
Though RV is a complete package but still there are some things that you can do to make it even better such as adding a slide-out.
In this article, you will know about RVs and all the questions related to installing slide out will be answered. So if this sounds interesting, then keep reading this article. Now without wasting any time, let’s jump into the main deal.
So before answering can you add a slide out to an RV, it’s important to cover basic information. RV is a recreational vehicle or trailer and it includes basic facilities like living space for accommodation. There are different types of RVs campervan, motorhomes, popup campers, truck campers, and caravans. Though all these are fundamentally same but it depends on your choice.
Is It Possible To Add Slide-out To An RV?
One of the best things about an RV is that you can customize it and the most common thing that people customize is, add a slide-out to their RV.
Yes, you can add a slide-out to an RV, if you want to build some extra space. Though there are also other benefits of adding a slide-out.
Anyway coming back to adding slide-out, most people like to do it because it adds comfort, luxury and makes the RV more appealing.
How to Add the Slide-out to RV?
Slide-outs are also called glide-outs or bump-outs and many companies can add slide-outs to your RVs. Though most of the companies only add slide-outs to expensive motorhomes.
So if you have an expensive RV, built on bus chassis, then you can contact a company to add a slide-out, but if you want to add slide-outs by yourself, then here are some things that can help you.
Though before starting, you need to know that adding slide-out is not an easy thing to do and it requires advanced engineering designing skills, fabrication, welding, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical installation.
1- Engineer The Project
It is very important to engineer the project properly, so it won’t get structurally weakened. You will also need to plan new hoops and support beams to give strength to the RV structure.
Insulation is also important, so decide how you will seal the joins and insulate the slide-out walls to prevent the moisture to come in. You will also have to decide the number of windows required and proper ways to install and seal them.
2- Determine Your Needs
You should also be very sure whether you want to accommodate only free-standing furniture or power sockets will also be required. Also, take care of the wring stuff for the kitchen and other electronic items.
3- Buy Effective Equipment
You should also buy equipment that comes with a positive lock because it will make sure that the slide-out cannot drift when it gets deployed. Choose a drive system as it will help in allowing fine adjustments.
4- Choose The Systems Properly
There are mainly two systems, the first one is a rack system and another one is hydraulic drive assembly. Also, choose between a one mounted to the sides or a floor mounted guide system. It all depends on your preferences, but make sure to examine your needs carefully before choosing anything.
Pros and Cons of Side-out in RVs
So after talking about all the basic things about RV slide-outs, it’s time to talk about the pros and cons of slide-out in RVs.
• Increased Space– One of the best pros of adding a slide-out in RV is that it provides a huge new space. You can add extra sofas and it also helps in making the whole RV more comfortable. Slide-outs also make it very easy to open and close the RV
• Feels like Home– As mentioned above, adding slide-out makes the RV spacious and it can be designed cleverly to make it look more luxurious to give a home-like feeling. Another great point is that you can invite more guests to your RV without having any space issues
• Maintenance- One drawback of adding slide-out is that with the increased space, the maintenance of the RV also increase means you have to spend more money
• Increased Weight- Another con of adding slide-out is that it will increase the weight of the RV and it will reduce the RVs cargo carrying capacity
How Much Would It Cost to Add the Slide-out?
So if you want to know how much it would cost to add the Slide-out, then many factors determine the final cost. It depends on the location and the size of the slide-out. If you want a bigger slide-out, then it will increase the final cost. Though if you want an average cost, the average starting cost to add a slide-out is around 15,000$.
How to Service a Slide-out in RV
Here are some servicing tips that everyone should follow to maintain their RV:
• Slide Seals- You should always inspect the slide seals regularly on all four sides. Also, make sure that the slide seals are flipped over the slide-out properly
• Roof Cover- You also need to make sure that the roof cover is void of tears and holes. Before moving the slide, it is recommended to clean the debris from the roof cover
So these were the most frequently asked question regarding an RV slide out. There are a lot of other benefits of using an RV. It won’t only make your journey easy but it also adds safety. Though you can add a slide-out, but it is recommended to think about it properly. Some of the major pros and cons are mentioned above. Do research properly. Hope this article will clear some of your doubts and queries.