Last Updated on :
Looking for a travel trailer to go full time? Travel trailers are just the perfect type of RV to go full time. They are affordable, provide lots of features and give you that luxury of space.
Travel trailer is a less expensive RV to live away from home. You have almost everything that you need inside, plus you will be away from the hustle and bustle and daily stress. You just need your ever-reliable car or minivan to haul your travel trailer.
In this article, I present to you the best travel trailer to live full time every category and budget.
The reason to present this list in this way is because every person has different needs while choosing an RV for full time living. Some need small trailer while others want luxury, some may look for long lasting travel trailer.
What is more positive about using a travel trailer is that you can still use the vehicle you used to haul the trailer all year round.
Aside from that, a travel trailer comes in unique designs, sizes, and prices. So you will have a lot of options in that category.
Here are the best travel trailers for full time living.
|Airstream Classic||5||7788 lbs|
|Starcraft Mossy Oak||3||4905 lbs|
|Coachmen Apex||4-8||6500 lbs|
|Lance Travel Trailer||4-5||2600 lbs to 7000 lbs|
|Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite||4||4797 lbs|
|Travel Lite Evoke||6||7060 lbs|
|Jayco Jay Flight Bungalow||4||10,690 lbs|
|Winnebago Minnie Plus||4-8||9995 lbs|
|Gulf Stream Coach Conquest Lodge||5||8066 lbs|
|Hummingbird By Jayco||2||2890 lbs|
Before we look into each of these travel trailers in detail, lets see the factors that we considered in choosing these.
How I choose these Travel Trailers
Buying an RV when you are looking for occasional travel or vacation is different as compared to living full time. Thus, choosing an RV here is a completely different process. A lot also depends on how you want to spend the life in RV.
There are different reasons why people choose to go full time. Some want to get rid of home, expenses and go minimalistic way. Others want that freedom to travel without any restriction. Some people retire and want to do this as long as they feel like doing it. Based on all these criteria’s you need to choose the RV.
In this list, we have all types of travel trailers that can suit different needs. Here are the factor we considered while choosing.
Living full time does have not have to be limited in terms amenities and features you get. You definitely want to travel but sometimes giving up on those basics and comfort needs is not why you choose this route. Specially those who are well with their finances, they just want to have that RV but with almost home like features.
Space is another luxury that comes into picture. Most people have this misconception that RV’s are very limited in space. But, that’s not the case always. Destination trailers are great in space and one can even travel with them. Sleeping capacity is another factor to consider, having that extra sleeping spot is always good when you are planning to stay in that RV for many years.
Other critical things include insulation on the trailer. You will be living year round and that means you need to stay in there for both summer as well as winter. Its better to go for 4 season RV which can be good for winter as well as summer.
When you want to start RVing and save on expenses, you cant just get that 100K travel trailer. For such people there options with limited expenses and yet good features that are good for full time living.
Travel trailers are great when it comes to cost/expenses as compared to motorhomes. You get similar features at almost half the price. The only thing is, you have to tow them, so you would need car to tow it. Fifth wheel also provide similar features with luxury but they tend to be costly and a truck is needed to pull them.
Having good fresh water tank, holding tank capacity is critical when you are full time living. A small tank would put restriction on what you can do. Boondocking needs you to have good tank capacity. If you are good to camp all the time at a campground with hookup then you wont have any issues. But, more often people who go full time want to spend time with minimum costs where full hookup may not be present.
You don’t want a travel trailer that weighs a lot when you would be traveling a lot. This is not the case with destination trailers though, as in this case the main aim is to stay for prolonged duration with travel only when needed.
But, if you are going full time for extensive travel then getting a light weight trailer is critical. This, not only makes it easy to tow but also reduces the traveling expenses as your car or truck gives better miles per gallon.
Build Quality and Brand
When you would be buying an RV for full time, you want it to be reliable. You cant just get an RV that will need repairs more often. These travel trailers are reliable and have proven to be good enough for long term use. RVs in general can be costly in terms of repairs and maintenance, therefore getting the right model with solid build quality should be on your priority checklist.
Lets now check out each of the travel trailers in detail.
1. Airstream Classic
Airstream has its own aura and popularity. Those who have used airstream know exactly what it feels like. Airstream is expensive and popular. There are several models to choose from. Airstream classic is mostly suited for those who want to go full time.
Their unique looking body makes them easily recognizable. You can identify airstream among hundreds of parked RVs.
There is a reason why so much is being talked about them. The quality, long history and luxury defines them.
|Length||30 to 33 feet|
|Fresh Water Tank Capacity||54 Gallons|
|Gray Tank Capacity||37 Gallons|
|Black Tank Capacity||39 Gallons|
Classic is a quality built trailer that is suited for long travels and full time living. Its is given dedicated space for kitchen, living, bedroom and bathroom. You can expect interiors to be of quality what people usually speak of airstream in general.
With Airstream you can be sure that the RV would last very long, its shiny body does require maintenance but a whole lot less than any other travel trailer.
The layout is clean and you would hardly find anything to complain about. If you haven’t used airstream previously then be ready to get surprised with its quality and features.
Lets see some of the features of Airstream classic.
- 4 Floorplans
- Length 30’ to 33’
- Have a smart control technology
- Enough space for 4 to 5 people
- Handcrafted and elegantly designed cabinets and drawers
- Heated shower floor plus towel bar
- With a built-in microwave and oven
- 9 cu. ft 2 way refrigerator
- Has net carrying capacity of 2212 lbs
A travel trailer that is equipped with the luxury you need when living in a travel trailer. There is high-quality equipment that suits you and your family’s daily needs.
The smart controls let you switch the light, GPS, heat pump, and air conditioner in a high-tech fashion.
The sizeable space will keep you living conveniently with lots of storage area so you can bring the things you need with you.
You won’t have fear of not having something to use when away from home because it is equipped with the daily things you need to live comfortably wherever you are.
- Smart technology
- Heated bathroom features
- Projected windows
- Oven plus stove connectivity
- Beautifully crafted cabinets and drawers
- Elegant interior design
- Expensive to some people’s standards.
2. Starcraft Mossy Oak Ultra Lite
This light weight travel trailer is a great option if you want to live full time. Its construction makes it light weight yet giving you all the basics features. The full kitchen and rear bathroom makes this RV a home away from home.
- 6 floor plans
- High rise faucet
- Option for an outdoor kitchen
- Many sleeping spaces for larger floor plans
- Different length of the floor plan to choose from
- 15,000 BTU Air conditioner
- Laundry shoot
- Queen sized bed in a private bedroom
- Power awning with LED lights
- L Shaped sofa for comfortable seating
|Fresh Water Capacity||45 Gallons|
|Gray Holding Tank||29 Gallons|
|Black Tank Capacity||29 Gallons|
Since there are many floor plans to choose from, it is also up to you to gain the needed space for the number of family members you have. Larger floor plans equal more sleeping spaces. It can even accommodate up to 5 people.
There is a free interior room, and a different layout is available. Originally you will have a comfortable bedroom, right-sized kitchen, and bunks in some floor plans.
It will depend on how much space you need and how many people will be with you in the trailer. But if it will just be your partner plus your two children, we can say that there is enough space for everyone to move around, and living full-time in this travel trailer will surely be an unforgettable experience.
This is a kid and pet friendly travel trailer that does not have carpet. Cleaning it is pretty easy and also features good storage compartment.
Mossy oak is suitable for those who want an adventure and yet want the facilities inside the RV.
- You have the freedom to choose the space that you need.
- Some simple customization is also doable.
- It is easy to live in luxury and comfort if you choose the bigger floor plan.
- The smallest floor plan may not be comfortable for a family over three. A bigger floor plan may be more ideal.
3. Coachmen Apex Ultra-lite Travel Trailer
There are several layout options to choose from. The model also has a toy hauler layout that costs a little higher. This travel trailer is a light weight RV that can be towed very easily by most standard cars.
Weight is a significant factor when towing and if you plan to travel extensively then this is the right choice for your full time living adventure. Not only does it weigh less but also provides abundance of features you wouldn’t want to miss.
- A total of 29 different floor plans to choose from
- A foam that is made of eco-friendly material is used for sleep mattress
- Availability of outside speakers with LED lights
- LED lights used for power awning
- A dedicated storage area at the front
- 6 Gallons Gas/Electric water heater
- 13,500 BTU Air conditioner
- LED Television
- Flush kit for blank tank
- Comes with metal skirt/fender skirt
|Length||25 feet 4 inch|
|Fresh Water Capacity||50 Gallons|
|Gray Holding Tank Capacity||35 Gallons|
|Black Tank Capacity||35 Gallons|
All the fine luxury is here in this trailer. Whether you want a bigger space or perhaps a different interior set up, they can realize it for you. Customization is also not impossible if you need a few tweaks here and there to make your full time living, perfect in every way.
The Coachmen Apex is one of the most versatile trailers in the market. If you need space inside, all you have to do is slide some furniture in place to be replaced by a mattress. There is also additional storage space if you need it. There is also a kitchen inside and outside for when your family would like to have a cookout.
It includes all the basics plus other additions such as an outside speaker and solar prep, etc. With this travel trailer, you surely couldn’t ask for more.
The fiberglass exterior constriction makes this RV light and keeps the overall dry weight under lbs. that can be easily towed. Its is packed with modern features like LED lighting, power awning, back camera, USB ports to name few.
The value package is indeed awesome with all the basic amenities you would want in an RV for full time living. Apart from the standard package you get ton of options to add at additional cost.
- Bigger bedroom space with queen size beds.
- Spacious bathroom and lots of kitchen storage.
- Full kitchen inside and outside.
- Some minor fixes that are easy to deal with.
4. Lance Travel Trailer
If you are looking for downsizing with a modest travel trailer then lance travel trailer is a prefect option you can choose. These ultra light weight trailers are easy for towing and keep the overall monthly costs low.
There are several layout models to choose from and you will find something that just fits your family needs. There are different tow ratings based on which you can choose the right RV. You have those that weigh just under 4000 lbs to those weighing around 7000 lbs. Overall, the weight remains under check due to their solid construction which does not add too much weight.
Most of the plans have sleeping capacity of 4-5 people which is great for a small family.
- There are 11-floor plans to choose from
- It can accommodate up to 7 people
- Hardwood framed cabinet doors
- Great design
- There is a roof vent both for the living room and bedroom
|Length||15 feet to 24 feet|
|Weight||2600 lbs to 7000 lbs|
|Fresh Water Tank Capacity||26-35 Gallons|
|Grey Holding Tank||26-35 Gallons|
|Black Tank Capacity||26-35 Gallons|
This is an impressive travel trailer. With the many floor plans to choose from, they will not leave you hanging wondering which one to choose. Everything that you and your family will need is all here from a dinette, double door refrigerator, air conditioner, furnace, the electric awning, plus upgraded 13.5/15K BTU air conditioner.
If you want more, you can add upgrades and requests for some parts or areas to be customized.
The design is also not something to scoff at, from the hardwood framed cabinet doors to the elegant flooring, nothing is made hastily, but everything falls into its rightful place.
- Elegantly designed to also make you feel at home.
- The spacious interior space is just right for your family vacation or a weekend away from the city.
- You may have a hard time deciding which floor plan to choose since you have a lot of options.
5. Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite
This travel trailer is a light weight which can be towed by any SUV or truck. Its very comforting and a great option for those looking to live full time. Its constructed with great thought and the overall design looks pretty impressive.
It is made up of single piece roof which integrates into the walls making it last very long. Externally you will find power awning, LED lights and also number of USB ports. Its a great choice because of the brand name as well.
- With 18 floor plans to choose from
- Kitchen countertops with a solid surface
- They make the interior out of slate wood
- LED lighting is used everywhere
- Power awning with adjustable rain dump
- Inclusion of grill prep for outside cooking
- It is equipped with a 13,500 ducted Air conditioner
- Skylight for bathroom
- Some models are given fireplace as well
- 20,000 BTU furnace
|Length||23 feet 11 inches|
|Fresh Water Capacity||52 Gallons|
|Grey Holding Tank Capacity||30 Gallons|
|Black Holding Tank Capacity||30 Gallons|
You will surely have the time of your life with this travel trailer. Even if you are out there in the sunniest or cold area, you will have no problem with insulation because of the ducted furnace and a 13,500 BTU/AC you will surely be comfortable throughout.
Although this trailer is already equipped with the needed features and amenities, you can still add more. There are also color options if you want to change the look of your trailer.
There is already, the addition of solid surface kitchen countertops if you need extra space while cooking.
- Extreme weather is no issue because of the great insulation and AC BTU.
- Beautifully made and designed to look homey.
- Perfect for a bigger family.
- Some may find the travel trailer lacking in storage space compared to the other models.
6. Travel Lite Evoke
This is a next generation travel trailer that brings in safety, luxury and style along with loads of features. Its a classic travel trailer that will suit living lifestyle of many people. It comes with all the standard features and you can go ahead and add additional features based on your needs.
- 4 Floorplan option
- Length of 101’
- Great lighting that has impeccable standards
- Equipped with a high-quality sink
- Beautifully designed cabinets and drawers for your storage needs
- Space to install additional seating arrangement
- Can accommodate microwave oven, washing machine, and fridge
- 10 cu ft refrigerator
- Vinyl Flooring
- Smart powered awning
|Fresh Water Tank||54|
|Gray Tank Capacity||40|
|Black Tank Capacity||40|
This travel trailer has the necessities you will need to live away from home. From the fridge, microwave, fireplace, TV, sofa, bedrooms, kitchen, and bathroom.
Equipped with a freshwater tank and a gray and wastewater tank.
There is also enough space in the kitchen as it is spacious for when you have to cook delicious meals, at any time, of the day.
A table can be arranged in a sizeable space so your entire family can eat in leisure.
It uses high grade material which gives it edge in terms safety and also the build quality. The king sized bed and stylish cabinetry makes the interiors worth spending time inside. The customization also makes it possible to have things as per your requirements.
- It can house up to 6 people.
- Spacious for you to move around.
- There is enough bedroom for everyone.
- An additional master bedroom for couples.
- Big kitchen for those who prefer home (trailer) cooked food.
- Price is more affordable.
- Some say it may not withstand too cold climates.
7. Jayco Jay Flight Bungalow
This park model travel trailer by Jayco is perfect if you want a home away from home. Its bit heavy but if you plan to spend longer duration at different locations then this is a perfect one for you.
With sleeping capacity for 4, this is a perfect on the road home for small family looking for decent interiors and features.
- 6 Floor plans
- With an 18 cubic foot residential-style fridge in all floor plans
- A ceiling fan for both the living room and the bedroom, but not for the 40 LOFT and 40KFDS floor plans
- Loft with additional sleeping space for the 40LOFT floor-plan
- A big kitchen with residential refrigerator
- Ample space in bathroom and bedroom
- Front bath with adequate space
- 40,000 BTU furnace for keeping the trailer warm
- 60lbs of propane capacity
|Weight||10,690 lbs to 11,725 lbs|
|Fresh Water Capacity||38 Gallons|
|Gray Holding Tank||39 Gallons|
|Black Holding Tank||39 Gallons|
The Jay Flight Bungalow has an added ceiling fan for their travel trailers, not just one, but two except for the 40 Loft and 40 FKDS. While they include an additional toilet in the 40BHQS and 40FBTS, so if you like the additional feature, this is the way to go. The 40LOFT floor plan, on the other hand, has an additional sleeping space.
If you are particular with the size of your bathroom, the 40FBTS floor plan should be your option as it occupies the entire width of the front of the trailer, considered the best bathroom in the series of this travel trailer.
Although there are different added space and features for the floor plans mentioned, the convenience of this travel trailer is at par with the other high-end trailer. With the bedroom, kitchen, living room, and bathroom, you can almost feel that you are home.
Packed with all the basic and home like features this isn’t a cheap option. Its for those who want all the basic amenities in under 60K. You can also get a used one at less than $40,000, which by the way can be a great deal.
The dry weight of this camper trailer is slightly above 11,000 lbs which will need a bigger truck to pull it. Since this type of models are mostly built for less travel, be sure you know what you are getting into. Such park models are suited when you want to spend longer duration at a location and move when you are done.
- Highly liveable and can be your full-time home.
- The homey feel of the interior also helped users sleep comfortably.
- Plenty of room for the entire family.
- The exterior looks average.
- Need to focus on the warranty.
- Customer service is poor and can be difficult to contact.
8. Winnebago Minnie Plus
If you are looking for good living space, decent storage then this highly rated travel trailer is right for your year round living needs. It has multiple spacious floor plans that are equipped with queen sized bed, private bathroom and loads of interior amenities.
The full slide out increases the space dramatically making it way more livable. Its lower end floor plan can occupy 4 people where as the bigger higher end ones can accommodate upto 8 people.
The slide out includes the dinette, sofa, folding sofa and theatre seating.
- 6 Floor plans
- Includes a 3-burner cooktop
- 8-cubic feet, double-door fridge
- 30,000 BTU furnace
- 15,000 BTU ducted AC
- Option for an outdoor kitchen
- Power Awning with LED lights
|Fresh Water Capacity||50 Gallons|
|Gray Tank Capacity||69 Gallons|
|Black Tank Capacity||29 Gallons|
Pricey, but full of comfort. The Winnebago Minnie Plus travel trailer has 6 floor plans where some may have bunk beds and primary queen beds while others have a kitchen area with kitchen islands and an option for an outdoor pull-out kitchen. Another floor plan is where there is a separate bedroom with a bunk inclusion in the rear.
You can choose which feature matter to you most if you are after a good sleep most of the time and just plain relaxing with not much cooking, then you can purchase the one with bigger bedroom space. If you are more of concocting food to relish with your family while away from home, then you can opt for the one with a kitchen island and outdoor kitchen to boot.
Although there is a difference in layout and the expanse of each trailer, but the significant comfort needs are included on every trailer such as the full bathroom, a kitchen area, bedrooms, and such. Just less the additional features, which may also add to the price.
- Option for an outdoor kitchen.
- You can request for additional features or some customization.
- Best features at affordable price
- Multiple floorplans with varying configurations
- The bigger the floor plan you choose, the higher the price.
9. Gulf Stream Coach Conquest Lodge
This destination trailer has home like interiors, space and features. If you are looking for long term living in an RV then consider this destination trailer. It is packed with amenities you would want as a full time RVer.
With amenities like 35,000 BTU furnace, 15,000 BTU Air conditioner this can be your next four season home on the road.
- Beautiful and right-sized double-door fridge to accommodate many food items.
- With the inclusion of 4-burner cooktop
- There are enough drawers and cabinets for your everyday storage needs.
- An elegant fire-heater to ensure that you will not feel the cold during chilly nights.
- Huge bedroom for excellent comfort for the entire family
- Furnace up to 35,000BTU capacity, plus the 13500 ducted Air conditioning.
|Starting Price||Contact Dealer|
|Fresh Water Capacity||NA|
|Grey Tank Capacity||37|
|Black Tank Capacity||37|
Living in a destination trailer gives you an edge of having bigger space and yet move when needed. Definitely its little hard to travel as compared to other lite trailers but remember it has a huge advantage in terms of space and amenities. They do weigh higher and you would need bigger SUV or high capacity truck to pull them.
This travel trailer is longer and has more space compared to other travel trailers in the market. There is more living area for you and your family. There is also an option to adjust and add more living space with the use of the slide outs.
This trailer is like your home away from home, from the woodgrain laminated flooring to the beautifully crafted hardwood cabinet, to the highly relaxing soft mattress, with all the trimmings to make your vacation highly enjoyable.
- Makes being away from home easier for you and your family cause you will feel at home here.
- The elegant design of the entire trailer plus the living space is just enough to keep you convenient while you travel.
- Have the free space and the high comfort needed for full time living.
- Designed for long family vacations.
- May be expensive for some because of the vast space this trailer has.
10. Hummingbird By Jayco
If you are looking for small travel trailer weighing just little below 3000 lbs then consider this option from Jayco. Its a perfect small travel trailer for couple to go full time. It comes with standard features good enough for full time living.
- 7-floor plans available
- The smallest line of travel trailers made by Jayco
- This is good for two to three people
- There is a different design option
|Starting Price||Contact Dealer|
|Length||13 to 20 feet|
|Fresh Water Tank Capacity||25.6 Gallons|
|Gray Tank Capacity||25.4 Gallons|
|Black Tank Capacity||25.4 Gallons|
This is the smallest coming from travel trailer from Jayco and can fit a family of three or just a couple. The seven-floor plans give you the freedom to choose the layout you like, the design that you prefer, and there are other areas that you can customize.
Some standard amenities may include sleeping spaces, rear exterior kitchen with quick connection faucet, TV, fridge, and microwave.
The bigger sized Hummingbird has a corner entertainment center, extensive wardrobe and pantry, residential-style kitchen countertops, and homey design.
- There are lots of overhead storage available.
- Rear kitchen with other extensions to make cooking outside a breeze.
- Bigger space is also another option for a bigger bed, wardrobe, and entertainment center.
- Mattress may not be the most comfortable to sleep in.
Know this before you buy
As you read initially, I choose these travel trailers on few basic important factors but that’s not all that one should consider. There are several other things to look more closely before buying.
So, i would recommend you to go through each of these options and check those things. The trailers that I choose are standard and popular in the industry and they do stand tall when most of the below factors are taken in.
This is an incredibly important thing that you can’t ignore. There are minute details that need to be confirmed before deciding on the RV. A bathroom too small and compact can frustrate you over period of time. Where it is paced may affect your lifestyle as well. If you have been using RV then you know some of these things already. But, if its your first time into RV’s then be very careful not only with bathroom/toilet/shower but also each of the other things. Other things that you need to pay attention in bathroom are shower, door, ceiling, lighting and the toilet.
All of the trailers that we mentioned have multiple layouts to choose from. Choose the layout carefully. Here again having previous experience with using an RV will help a lot. Check several models/floor plans and visualize the pros and cons of each. Remember it is going to be with you for long term and you don’t want to get stuck with the wrong one. Kitchen is another important part of your full time RVing and you want it just to suit your daily life. Customization could be possible but how about getting it right in the first time itself?
Electric hookup may not be available all the time and that’s when you need a generator or solar to power. Choose based on what your electric consumption could be. Getting a built in generator is much better to your comfort. Go for such a configuration if you feel you will need that 4000 Watts generator to power your appliances.
Choose the size of refrigerator, air conditioner wisely as replacing them can be costly later on. Do a thoughtful analysis on what size AC/refrigerator you will be okay living with. Having said this, do the opposite analysis as well. You don’t want to pack the RV with appliances that wont be used or excessively larger that you will ever need.
Here again as i said earlier, choose the right sleeping capacity and also the right sized bed. When the family is big, you need to consider the size of each bed carefully. Mostly, the trailers will have convertible beds to utilize the space properly. Some sleeping spots will be inside the slide out as well.
Ask Yourself this questions
After we have gone through all the things to look for, i am sure many of you may still have doubts. Its because many of you don’t know what really you need in an RV. That could be because you may have not used the RV much or not at all.
When that is the case, ask yourself below questions and you should have a fair answer.
- How often will you travel with the RV? If you plan to travel a lot then go for a smaller, light weight travel trailer.
- Will you be camping at campground all the time or will you prefer staying at lower cost campsites or go boondocking? If yes, then be sure to have good power options like generator and solar.
- Do you have kids? Total how many people will be living? If kids will be living then be sure to look at the overall space available
- Will pets be living in the travel trailer?
- Is it going to be very cold region where you will stay?
- Do you already have a towing vehicle or will you need to buy a new one?
- Are you okay with towing a travel trailer? If no, then motorhome is your next option. Class C Motorhome is most suited for those with medium budget of around $90,000 to $120,000. If you can spend higher than 1200,000 then you can go for more luxurious class A Motorhome. Class B motorhome is for those who want compact and easy to driver RV.
If you still need to explore more on what you need then its better to actually try living in different RV’s by renting. This can give you lot of insights into how it is going to be.
With the continuous improvement in travel trailers, most of what is lacking in previous models is now improved. The development benefits new buyers, and they get to enjoy a more convenient and highly comfortable travel trailer.
In the following years, with the development and advancement in travel trailers, there may also be other choices of materials to use, which will answer some remaining concerns with travel trailers – the need for a more economical model that many people can afford.