Last Updated on :
Not everyone has a big truck to tow heavy RV around. Even those that have one, they still prefer owning a moderate-size travel trailer. Not only are they easy to maintain, but they are also affordable and do not occupy much space in the camp.
When it comes to travel trailers, Jayco is definitely one of the top brands that is popular among RVers. But, not all of their models are for everyone (many of the travel trailers weigh in the range of 6500 lbs to 8500 lbs). In this article, lets look at some of their top models that weigh lesser than 5000 pounds.
Regardless of your family or camp team’s size, you can be sure to get a medium weight Jayco travel trailer under 5000 lbs.
Jayco Travel Trailers under 5000 lbs
Getting a low weighing travel trailer has several advantages. No one wants to pull a 10000 lbs behind their car or truck. Jayco travel trailers range in weight from 1500 lbs to 9800 lbs. They do have some decent models that weigh just under 5000 lbs.
Here are the best Jayco RV’s under 5000 lbs.
1. Jayco Jay Flight SLX7
At the top of our list is the Jayco Jay Flight SLXZ. These are small and lightweight travel trailers ranging from 2,380 to 3,210 pounds and a dimension of 16’6” to 21’8”.
This means they can easily be towed by smaller vehicles, including minivans. The RVs have six different floor plans to select from.
- This is an excellent choice of travel trailers for individuals new to camping with sufficient floor plan variety to match your camping wishes.
- The most minor floor plan has bunk beds, by the rest of the floor plans all feature a Queen bed.
- Two of the floor plans also feature a second set of bunks that provide extra sleeping space for the people, making them an excellent option for family camping.
This RV is designed to be a fun and easy to tow trailer that is both functional and economical.
The current sale price is about $17,995, with a resale value of around $15,000.
- It comes with great floor plans
- Expansive storage space
- High-quality build materials
- It is a stylish RV for small families
- It is relatively pricey
2. Jayco Jay Feather X17Z
Jayco Jay Feather X17Z is another ultra-light, reasonably priced travel trailer with lots of unique features. It is one of the best expandable travel trailers under 5000lbs.
This versatile, lightweight travel trailer has a choice of hard wall or tent floor plans. This can be a huge advantage in terms of its size as the beds stick outside the main dining space.
- The interior of the RV is incredible and offers everything to make your van life memorable.
- This RV gives you 17’ of the actual living space and the beds expand another 9.5’ out of the rear and front.
This means you get a 26.5’ travel trailer who can sleep 6 to 7 people for a 17′ trailer weight. It has a 60 by 76 front bed and a 58 by 76 rear size bed for you and your children. The sofa provides occupants a room to relax while still serving as an extra sleeping space.
The Jayco Jay Feather model weighs about 4950 lbs, making it qualify to feature on our list. Any SUV can conveniently move it to your camping adventure of choice.
So if you love a spacious trailer while not having to deal with towing heavy trailers, then you will have no better choice than this. As a guarantee of quality, the trailer comes with a two-year warranty plus a 3-year structural warranty.
Currently, the price of this model is about $27,911, with a significantly lesser resale value.
- Can sleep 6-7
- It comes with front and rear expanding tents for two beds
- Enclosed underbelly
- Sufficient space and feels just like a home
- Quality warranty on the RV
- Requires extra set up and take down beds
- It does not retain heat better than a hard-sided RV
3. Jayco Hummingbird 17RB
Next on our list of lightweight trailers under 5000lbs is the ultra-light Jayco Hummingbird. With a dry weight of 3010 pounds and a length of 19’ 9″, this comfortable and flashy trailer is the ultimate lightweight camping partner great for off-the-grid camping.
- Despite its ultra-lightweight, the camper has a full-size bed that sleeps up to three as well as overhead storage.
- Another great feature that customers like most is the elegant rear outdoor kitchen.
- The RV also features a lovely size sink, a fridge, a TV, and adequate storage. You can also purchase an optional grill to complement the setup.
- The kitchen has all you require to prepare a tasty meal during your camping.
Unlike other camper trailers, the Jayco Hummingbird is pretty aerodynamic. This is not only because of their size. Jayco took their time to construct a well-rounded profile trailer with rear and front diamond plating.
In a living space, a big dinette is perfect for relaxing after a day of adventure. In the bathroom, a toilet, shower, and sink with underneath storage are well situated. One of the bathroom’s favorite features is the large linen closet that is rare to find in any trailer.
If you often take extended camping trips or weekend getaways, the large tank makes this camper a perfect choice. The 2019 Jayco Hummingbird 17RB is going for about $19,900.
- It has a durable Tuff-Shell Aluminum frame
- Enclosed underbelly with an AstroFoil insulation
- Overall sleeping capacity of 3 to 4 people
- High water tank storage capacity
- It’s not ideal for large families
4. Jayco Jay Feather X19H
Are you seeking a great space provided by a pop-up but prefer tougher walls? A hybrid camper is your best option. Fortunately, Jayco manufactures a fantastic hybrid that you have to consider going at an affordable price of around $22,999.
With a dry weight of 3800lbs, the Jayco Jay feather X19H is one of the best camping RV under 5000lbs.
- The camper also comes with excellent standard features and designs made with your camping needs in mind.
- This Jayco model comes with a variety of floor plans as well as lots of sleeping space.
- The camper has a length of 20 ft. 8 in that gives enough room for 5 to 6 people.
- The RV also includes a relatively big refrigerator, a full bathroom with a shower, a microwave, and a 3-burner stovetop in the kitchen area.
RV living has never felt more like home like in this lightweight Jayco Jay Feather X19H. Buying this RV will not get you disappointed, and you will easily tow it on your SUV or smaller car.
- Sleeping space for 3 to 5 people
- Room for the whole family to camp
- Small and easy to maneuver
- It’s a stylish camper under 5000lbs
- It requires good maintenance
5. 2021 Jay Feather Micro Series
Jayco has introduced the brand-new travel trailer; Jay Feather Micro which is one of the lightest. Weighing 1500 to 4,750 lbs. 19 feet in length, this camper is adorned with the fundamentals, some featuring as a reduced package.
- The trailer’s body has been constructed from Azdel composite material, creating a waterproof and more robust exterior.
- Another feature that shows the high-quality Jayco is incorporating in these trailers is the 16” off-road Goodyear tires that are topped off by reinforced wheel wells. These will help get the ground clear for off-road camping trips.
- Another excellent feature of the Jay Feather Micro is the MORryde steps, a feature you would expect to find in a high-end trailer.
These upgraded features in Jayco’s 2021 lineup make them one of the most lightweight RV.
In general, most young families and couples will appreciate the affordable price point, quality construction, and thoughtful design of the Jayco Jay Feather Micro Series.
However, it will be more appealing to the park campers than those going for deluxe RV resorts. Even better, this lightweight trailer comes prepared for roof-mounted solar panels to make off-grid adventures possible and comfortable.
Depending on the different micro-series, the price ranges from $22,000 and above.
- Relatively spacious
- It’s a lightweight and compact camper
- Has roof-mounted solar panels
- It has a well-equipped kitchen
- Small living space for more than three people
6. Jayco Jay Flight SLX 175 RD
The Jayco Jay Flight SLX 175 RD is the final travel trailer, and while it is on the smaller side of the list, it is ideal for entertaining a larger group of campers. The RV weighs 2860 lbs., making it one of the most lightweight travel trailers.
However, with a length of 20’7,” this camper does not sacrifice the weight on space. The camper features a great open concept kitchen and sitting/dining area.
- The dining and sitting area can seat about eight and can switch to sleeping space if required.
- The kitchen has a huge refrigerator, stovetop, microwave, and sink. The sleeping area is sufficient too.
- The bathroom features a shower and toilet with a tub.
- This layout is exceptionally open-concept, which makes it perfect for entertaining huge crowds on your camping adventure.
More so, it is relatively cheap, with a new model going for $19,995, but you can find a resale at less than $15,000.
Overall, if you are searching for a spacious travel trailer, this is a great choice.
- Comfortable seating
- Smooth ride
- Has plenty of storage
- It is built to last
- It is perfect for no more than four people
If you want to explore more options then do check the most popular brands in travel trailers space.
I had also put down a list of best travel trailers under 5000 lbs overall, do check it out.
Why pull a low weight travel trailer
Hauling behind a car of truck can be stressful. Also, your car will have a towing weight limit that you cannot simply exceed. There are different RV weight related ratings that you need to know.
Having a good understanding of these ratings will always help you while towing a travel trailers. Let me put out those ratings for you to understand better.
Dry weight of the travel trailer is the shipped weight. This does not include passenger, cargo, fluids or any other additional accessories. It is also known as the shipped weight of the travel trailer. This is how you find dry weight of RV.
Gross Vehicle Weight
Gross vehicle weight or the GVW is the dry weight in addition to passengers, cargo and the fluids added to it.
Tongue weight is the weight exerted by the trailer on the hitch ball. It is always recommended to be around 10-15% of the gross trailer weight.
Gross Combination Weight
GCW is the combined weight of the fully loaded travel trailers and the tow vehicle. This includes all the cargo, passenger and the fluids inside the travel trailer. If you are double towing a boat or any other toy, then it is also included in the GCW.
If you have an SUV or a half-ton vehicle, travel trailers under 5000 pounds are the perfect camping option for you. The above-reviewed lightweight Jayco RVs under 5000 lbs, will provide you with more campsite options to visit while making it easy for you to navigate through the woods. Although you still require to choose between the different sizes, as long as it falls under 5000lbs weight, and your car can tow the travel trailer effortlessly, it should be good to go.